- Sept 2016 – Present
MGIS (Masters In Geographic Information System)
University of Calgary
- August’ 2013 – July’ 2015
Masters in Development studies
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway
- June’2007 – March’2012
Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh
August 2017 – Present
GIS Student Analyst at UCMAPS, It Department, University of Calgary
- Producing emergency evacuation maps of University of Calgary campus for campus wayfinding project
• Digitising and updating parking lots, stairways, exits, water pipelines, and electricity lines of the campus area.
November 2017 – March 2018
Front End Developer at Engaging Open Data Research, University of Calgary
- Worked on a python based web framework to design and implement a data sharing portal called YYC Data Collective.
• Designed and maintained the visual interface of the platform using open source software CKAN, HTML, CSS, and Bootstrap.
• Ensured the interface interacts properly with the underlying database and functionality on the server and maintained the access of the users for different admin roles.
The site can be found at http://yycdatacollective.ucalgary.ca
June 2017 – July 2017
Research Assistant at Durham Food Project, University of Calgary
Cleaned, updated, and built a database of food assets.
Created an interactive webmap of the food assets of Durham Region.
01. February 2016 – August, 2016
Assistant Manager – Research, in “Climate finance Governance” Unit
Main Activities and Responsibilities:
- Assist in conducting climate finance governance (CFG) studies, Climate Vulnerability Mapping, project tracking, institutional assessment applying quantitative as well as qualitative research tools and techniques
- Assist/Write research reports, policy briefs
- Regularly update and Manage Climate Finance Database
- Assist in need based study/data analysis and prepare presentations
- Identify, contact and hold discussions with stakeholders, take interviews, collect data and prepare analytical reports
Organisation: TIB (Transparency International Bangladesh)
JUL 2012-JUL 2013
Junior Planner at WASH, Dhaka Bangladesh
Performed statistical analyses, georeferenced and digitized landcover features in ArcGIS, prepared ward and union level maps showing existing and improved situation of study areas in terms of water supply, sanitation, and hygiene. Prepared reports. Organized consultation meeting with stakeholders, monitored the progress of the project.
Rana M. S., Hossain F., Roy S. S. & Mitra S. K. (2013), “Exploring Operational Characteristics of Battery Operated Auto-rickshaws in Urban Transportation System.”, American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER), e-ISSN: 2320-0847 p-ISSN : 2320-0936, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp 1-11
Rana M. S., Hossain F., Roy S. S. & Mitra S. K. (2013), “Energy Consumption by Battery Operated Auto-rickshaws, Daffodil International University Journal of Science and Technology”, ISSN-1818-5878, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp 71-76, July 29, 2013
Rana M. S. & Hossain F. (2013), “An Overview on Co-efficient of Localization & Localization Curve and Their Application Opportunities in the Context of Bangladesh”, International Organization of Scientific Research-Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), e-ISSN: 2279-0837, p-ISSN: 2279-0845, Vol. 12, No. 3 (May. – Jun. 2013), pp 72-77
Rana M. S., Hossain F., Roy S. S. & Mitra S. K. (2013),”The Role of Battery Operated Auto-rickshaw in the Transportation System of a City”, Journal of Asian Electric Vehicle, e-ISSN-1883-6038, p-ISSN- 1348-3927, Vol. 11, No. 1 June 2013
Rana M. S., Hossain F. & Roy S. S. (2013), “Attaining Sufficient Yield of Sugarcane in Bangladesh: An Empirical Approach”, Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agricultural Science (JTAS), ISSN: 15113701, University of Putra, Malaysia
Scholarships and Awards
- Travel Grant, FGS, UofC,2017
- Norwegian Government scholarship to pursue Masters (2013-2015)
- Abdul Hamid Award for the Undergrad thesis (2012)
- Technical board scholarship (2007-2012)
GIS: ArcGIS Desktop, ArcScene, ArcGIS pro, QGIS, City Engine, ArcGIS Online
Remote Sensing: PCI Geomatica, E-cognition, ENVI, ERDAS Imagine
Programming language: Python, R, SQL, HTML 5, CSS, Bootstrap
Productivity software: AutoCAD, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe AfterEffects